Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sisterhood

January may be the beginning of a new year but there is something about September. The ending of summer and the promise of re-invigoration ahead. While my school days are far behind me I still think of September as a fresh start (minus paste & rubber glue). With that in mind I've started my search for funding, a job, some sort of income to keep me a float.

I received a letter that said as part of the stimulus package there was money available for schools and training. Looking to take advantage I went to social services today. There were two other women ahead of me. One was reserved, well put together, reading a magazine. The other.... well that was a different story. She appeared to have just been released from somewhere. She began talking to no one in particular about her children, their different fathers and how she was trying to get her life together. I was deeply engrossed in organizing the contents of my handbag.

The receptionist informed her she needed an appointment and would have to return. Well outrage does not begin to describe her reaction! I silently prayed I would not be hit with a flying object...not having health insurance and all. She left, only to return minutes later. She then began to spill all the sordid details of her life to the other women and myself. Why? I don't know. Clearly I was involved in the fine art of coin arrangement and the other women was engrossed in an article about orthotics.

She believed she was being treated unfairly. We as women have to stick together. We can't let the system take advantage of us. Of us? This chick would not have given me the time of day in an ordinary social setting. Unless it was to make fun of my shoes and\or handbag! Now that she's having a problem were all in it together. Yeah...Right I truly wish people would miss me with their pretense.

(I have to return for a follow-up appointment on the 8th...fingers crossed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment